Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Marinara Sauce



I love a good marinara sauce. I like to make my own rather than buying the jars because it's so easy, the leftovers always reheat well, and if I'm smart and plan ahead, I can store it in the fridge or freezer and use it just as I would a jar of store-bought marinara sauce. That being said, the jars of prepared sauce can be super handy to have around and certain brands are really tasty. But I'm a do-it-yourselfer, and I really enjoy preparing my own marinara.

This is a basic recipe, and depending on the day I'll change it up and add or change elements of the sauce. However, this one is a winner and it's pretty easy to customize to your tastes and it's easy to double for crowds, too.

Marinara al Frazzoo
(Frazzoo's recipe)

1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Olive oil
1/4 c. wine
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato paste
Salt & pepper
Pinch of sugar
Oregano: 1 T. dried or 1 tsp. fresh
Basil: 1 T. dried or a hand full of leaves, chiffonaded

Heat olive oil in a saucepan for a few minutes over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute around 10 minutes until soft, fragrant, and translucent. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes--watch carefully so it doesn't burn. When garlic is soft, add tomatos and tomato paste to the pot and mix well. Add the red wine to the pot and deglaze (scrape up the brown bits of deliciousness).

Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add a touch of sugar, stir well, and add your herbs. Stir to combine everything, and taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 15 minutes. Add more salt, pepper, oregano, whatever if necessary, and serve over your favorite pasta.

Notes:
  • Sometimes I fry up some pancetta and add that to the sauce, but it's hard to come by around here. Red pepper flakes are a good addition to this sauce, too.
  • I use red or white wine, depending on what I have. Either works well in this sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::