Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pomegranite Beef Roast



Have I mentioned that I love my crockpot? Because I really do. It's one of my favorite small appliances, and I look forward to using it all the time. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes and things I can make with it. Anytime I go to a bookstore, I make a beeline for the food and cooking section so I can peruse their selection of crockpot cookbooks. And this blog? I'm a little mad that I didn't think of the idea first, but Stephanie was a much better sport at it than I would ever be, so it works out. I've been reading her blog for a long time now and I've lifted a few recipes from her blog, and each one has been an adventure! This is a new favorite for me, and it was a hit with my husband, brother-in-law, and sister-in-law. The sauce is so wonderful and really tenderized the heck out of my roast! Make this for people you love, like your mom, or dad, or sister, or baby, or favorite blogging friends. :-)

Pomegranite Beef
(Adapted from The Crockpot Lady & Karina)

2.5 lb. beef roast (I used a boneless chuck roast)
Sea Salt
Pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chunked
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. unsweetened pomegranite juice
14 oz. can diced or crushed tomatoes, drained
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/8 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. golden raisins
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Season beef lightly with salt and pepper. Heat a large pot or pan over medium heat and brown the beef on all sides, 5 minutes total. Remove to a platter to cool slightly.

Add a few dashes of olive oil to coat the inside of your crockpot. Return beef to crockpot, and top with onions, garlic, juice, tomatoes, vinegar, and maple syrup. Stir to combine, and add cranberries, raisins, herbs, and cinnamon. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Give it one more big stir, and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8. Enjoy!

Notes:
  • I served this with roasted red potatoes and a simple green salad. The sauce is great and it's basically all the sweetness you need.
  • I chose to use a cheaper cut of beef because 1.) I'm cheap, and 2.) it's not really necessary to buy something so expensive because the sauce will really tenderize the roast.
  • The beef was great, but the onions were my favorite because they absorbed all the juice and were so sweet and savory. What a great combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::