Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes



It's a well-known fact that I pretty much love everything that has anything to do with fall, and naturally that includes pumpkin. I use it as often as I can in my cooking, but pumpkin is one of those foods that Graham can be picky about so I don't use it as often as I'd like. These pancakes can satisfy the both of us--they're spicy enough for him, and pumpkiny enough for me. They're the perfect treat to enjoy this Thanksgiving morning, provided you're not hosting Thanksgiving dinner!

Pumpkin Pancakes
(Adapted from Tasty Kitchen)
2 c. plus 2 T. cake flour
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. baking powder
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. water
2 T. vegetable oil
1 egg

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt. Mix well. In a mixer bowl, combine buttermilk, pumpkin, water, oil, and egg. Mix well until egg is just combined. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well until all combined.

Pour batter onto a greased griddle or into a heated pan. Cook until bottom is heated and cooked through, then flip over and continue cooking. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.

Notes:
  • I liked these, and Graham liked them more than he thought he would, but they were really thick and cakey. I don't know that the cake flour was a wise decision because I couldn't get the batter thin enough. Next time I'll use all-purpose or just one cup of flour. These were nice, but way too thick for my tastes, and the batter just wouldn't thin out.
  • I added the extra spices, and I'm glad I did. The hint of cinnamon and nutmeg was perfect to wake me up in the morning.
  • A little more sugar might also do the trick for these, since they weren't very sweet. Maybe a 1/4 c. brown sugar? I'm not terribly adept at baking and pancakes, so anyone else with more experience is a better judge of how to fix these.
  • The taste isn't horrible, it was just the consistency. If these were a little thinner, I'd be a happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::