Friday, January 29, 2010

Harvest Stew


When I read this post and saw that my favorite season had met my favorite small appliance, I fell over. Then I picked myself up and headed to the produce market to get what I needed to make this stew.

I loved it. I really liked how this held my favorite Autumn vegetables and was hearty and delicious. This is definitely making an appearance in September, October, and November.

Harvest Stew
(Adapted from The Crockpot Lady)

1 lb. ground chicken, beef, or ground Italian sausage
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
4 red potatoes, diced
1 acorn squash, peeled and diced
1 14.5 oz. can whole tomatoes
4 c. chicken stock
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper
4 T. flour

Use a large crockpot for this stew.

Season meat with salt and pepper. Brown meat, and drain off fat. Set aside.

Add chopped up vegetables to the crockpot. Add kidney beans, tomatoes, stock, and seasonings. Add your meat of preference, and add in the cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. Give it all a big stir to combine. Add about 1 tsp. salt and pepper. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

After stew is ready, add flour to stew to thicken. Stir until lumps are gone, and serve right away.

Notes:
  • I used ground chicken for this, and Graham wasn't a big fan. As I was eating, I thought that ground Italian sausage would be a nice addition instead of the chicken. Crockpot Lady suggests using stew meat instead of ground meat for a more filling meal.
  • I might also add another can of beans or use a larger can of tomatoes to help thicken the stew.
  • Any fall vegetables would work here. Using more potatoes would also help thicken the stew as the starches break down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::