Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mustard Roasted Potato Wedges


This was a recipe I bookmarked nearly a year ago, and like so many others I forgot to try it out right away and I found it this weekend when I was cleaning out my Favorites folder. I'm so glad I stopped myself from hitting "delete" right away--these are awesome. They're an easy side to throw together and throw in the oven, and they come out crispy and tender. I used a whole grain mustard, but they'd be just as delicious with a milder Dijon or even with sour cream and chives...mmmm...sour cream...

Anyway, try these soon. Give thanks for mustard and potatoes. The end.

Mustard Roasted Potato Wedges
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted from Gourmet, 2007 (RIP, Gourmet))

1/2 c. spicy (or whole grain) Dijon mustard
2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. butter, melted
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 T. dried oregano
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. salt
2 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into wedges approx. 1/2 in. thick
Salt and pepper
Nonstick cooking spray (optional)

Heat oven to 425 F. In a bowl, mix together mustard, olive oil, butter, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, and salt. Blend well, and taste for seasonings (you may need a little more salt or a little more mustard...you'll get a feel for it).

Lightly season potatoes with salt and pepper. Add potatoes to mustard mixture and toss well to coat with dressing.

Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Spread potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring potatoes occasionally. Roast until potatoes are crisp on the outside and soft and tender on the inside (hence, 30-40 minutes).

Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • Stirring is important! You don't want one side to get too burned or end up with burned mustard dressing on your baking pan. Trust Frazzoo with this one.
  • I like a balance of flavors, so I tested as I went along. Mustard that was too strong would have ruined this side for me. It's all about the taste, man.
  • I like these because I can pop them in the oven and peek in on them when I'm not fussing over something else. I consider them easy in that respect--not having to manage 3 pots at once? Awesome!

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::