Monday, February 22, 2010

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo


This time of year, comforting and filling meals are my go-to when it comes to dinner. For Fat Tuesday, I wanted to send off the party season with a bang, and I'd kept Joelen's Chicken & Sausage Gumbo in my Google reader for over a year. I knew I could always try it when the weather got cold, but I felt like keeping it for Fat Tuesday would be fun.

This was delightful, delicious, and majorly filling. It was a great tribute to "Nawlins" and only enhances my interest in the food and culture of this great American city.

Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
(Adapted from Joelen)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c. vegetable oil
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 celery talks, chopped
1 lb. smoked sausage (I used Polish)
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Creole seasoning blend, to taste (post to follow)
6 c. chicken broth
1 large bay leaf (I used 2 small)
1 c. quick-cooking rice

Heat oven to 350 F. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear. Allow chicken to cool until it can be diced.

In a heavy bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat. When the oil is nice and hot, stir in flour. Whisk continuously until the roux has turned the color of chocolate milk, about 8 to 10 minutes. Take care not to burn the roux. If dark spots appear in the mixture, it's burned and you'll have to start all over, so whisk constantly and keep a good eye on it.

Stir in the onion, peppers, celery, and sausage. Cook together for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper, and Creole blend. Mix together. Pour in the chicken broth, submerge the bay leaf, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

By now, the chicken should be plenty cooled and ready to go. Cut it into a large dice, and add to the pot. Give it a big ole stir, and simmer for 30 more minutes, stirring often. Skim off any foam that might rise to the top.

Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary. Add in minute rice and cook for 10 more minutes. Serve with cornbread or beer bread and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked it and I'm loving the look of your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I'll have to put this on my weekly dinner menu soon!

    BTW - I have a Chicken Creole recipe that Joe & the kids love. If you'd like it, I can email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love, love gumbo! This makes me want to cook it for dinner again soon! Great post and blog!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::