Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Meatball & Stuffing Casserole


I'm a big fan of recipe sharing websites. Over the summer, I fell in love with Tasty Kitchen, a website founded by The Pioneer Woman. She started it after reading the recipe submissions by so many of her readers. It's a really great resource, and I'm so glad I've become a member and been able to share some of my own recipes with so many other home cooks.

Tonight's dinner comes from Tasty Kitchen. I liked it and was intrigued by the concept. Graham even liked it, which says a lot! He's normally not a big fan of stuff like this, but he really liked it and requested it again! Success! Personally I'm not a big fan of "Cream of" casseroles, but this one does the trick. It's comforting and filling and perfect for a weeknight! I threw it together, popped it in the oven, and went about my merry way. This needs a little tweaking, but I think that we'll keep it around for a while.

Meatball Stuffing Casserole
(Adapted from TK)

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced small/fine
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 box turkey stuffing
Water, to moisten stuffing
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can milk

Heat oven to 350 F. In a bowl, mix together ground beef, onion, eggs, and salt. Form into approx. 10 medium to large meatballs. Place in a casserole.

In another small bowl, dump the stuffing. Moisten with enough warm water to bind it together but not soak it, but make sure it's not too dry. Pour evenly over the meatballs, covering completely.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the soup with 1 canful of milk. Pour over the meatballs and stuffing. Bake for 1 hour.

Notes:
  • I think this works because unlike some casseroles, you don't need to brown the beef first. It was surprisingly moist and not at all greasy.
  • I prefer Stove Top stuffing, but it's a childhood comfort food. I guess just about any box stuffing would work, as long as it's one you enjoy.
  • I sprinkled salt on my mixture, so I guesstimated 1 tsp. It was probably a little more. Make sure your beef is well seasoned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::