Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Salsa! Salsa! Salsa!


I love chips & salsa. Whenever I host a gathering (which will hopefully be more of an occurrence now that we're settled!), I have to have chips and salsa on the menu. The combination of the two is lovely, and there's nothing like chips and salsa to break the ice. It's always a safe bet when you're not sure what to eat.

I love making my own salsa. I've tried it a few times and I've never found a recipe I liked, until now. I've also never been a big fan of jarred salsa. It's always missing something. Now that I've found something I like, I plan on making it all the time for our future gatherings. The best part is that it can be made hours in advance, and served up just when it needs to be, after the dishes are done and the party is started.

So go ahead! Make some salsa tonight and get the party started! I'll bring the beer.

Homemade Salsa
(Adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes with juice
2 10 oz. cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, one mild and one original
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeds and membranes removed, sliced into half-moons
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Sprinkling chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1 small lime

In the bowl of a food processor, combine whole tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno, sugar, salt, and cilantro. Pulse in the food processor until it reaches the consistency you prefer (I pulsed about 8 times). Squeeze in lime juice and whiz around one more pulse. Taste for seasonings and add more cilantro if you like spice or more sugar if it's too acidic, etc.

Pop salsa in the fridge for an hour or two to let it mingle and blend together. Serve with your favorite chips! Serve on a pretty plate or bowl, like this one....

Notes:
  • My parents really raved about this salsa. I prefer a chunkier consistency, so I stopped once it got to where I liked it. However, if you prefer it thinner, you can certainly do that.
  • I left the cilantro pretty objective because it's up to you how much you want to pop in. I added somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 c.
  • Sometimes, people don't prefer the taste of cilantro, but it really adds a nice pop of flavor to the salsa.
  • DON'T use jarred cilantro! It's dried and it's convenient, but it'll ruin the salsa. Boo! Hiss!
  • Don't start off with a jar of diced tomatoes, especially if you want a thicker salsa because the diced tomatoes will turn to mush the minute you turn the food processor on. Whole tomatoes usually have a nicer flavor, anyway.
  • You can do this without the kick of lime, but it tastes really great with the lime juice. You can't really taste it, but you just know there's something else there.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! This is a good food blog. Check out my garlic salsa blog. I hope you like and I hope it's as good as your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angie. Now I'm craving chips & salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salsa looks great. I LOVE the retro plate!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::