Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Whipped Carrots & Parsnips


I've had this on my "Need to Try" list for a long time, probably since October. Whenever I meant to try it, something happened. Either I couldn't find parsnips or I just plum forgot, or one of us was sick, or [insert excuse here]. Finally, I put my foot down and said I had to try it this week or I was giving up until next Autumn. I was really intrigued by the possibilities of this side dish, and I'm so glad I tried it out.

This didn't disappoint me at all. I liked the robust flavors of the vegetables, and they were really complimented by hints of nutmeg. The key with this is not to overseason the vegetables, because they really shine with just a touch of salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Whipped Carrots & Parsnips
(Adapted from Allrecipes.com)

4 large carrots, 1 lb. total, peeled and roughly diced
4 medium-large parsnips, 1lb total, peeled and roughly diced
1 stick butter, softened and cubed
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Salt & pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Splash in a little salt to season. Add the carrots and parsnips to the water and boil uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender. Drain well.

Return vegetables to the pot and stir over medium heat until excess water and steam evaporates away. (It's really important that these are dry!)

Transfer vegetables to a food processor or blender. Add butter, and process/run the food processor until vegetables are well blended and smooth, or have reached your desired consistency. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • Like I said, it's really important that these are dry. If they're not properly dried, they won't blend well and the final product will be mushier than you want it to be.
  • I over-blended because I had some decent sized chunks in my mixture, so in an effort to get them all mixed well, the final product ended up resembling baby food in terms of appearance. Thankfully it didn't taste that way. In the end, I think I prefer the rustic appearance of larger chunks in the final product. Something to remember for the future.
  • I really liked the combination of carrots and parsnips. They work nicely together.
  • Next time, I'll try and halve the butter. It worked out okay, but I think it was too much for just 8 root veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::