Monday, April 5, 2010

Parmesan Shrimp & Scallops


Oh baby.


Come to mama.


This is positively sinful.

At the end of 2008, Graham and I went to Hawaii. A good friend was getting married in Honolulu and she asked me to be her Matron of Honor (Aside: Gag! Am I really old enough to be a matron? ::shudder::) After her wedding, we hopped a teeny little plane and took ourselves to Maui so we could experience different parts of Hawaii. On our last night in paradise, we ate dinner at Kimo's, a restaurant everyone and their Aunt Tilly had told me about. I was intrigued, and it was on Kimo's lanai that I had some of the best seafood of my life, chased with the mai tai to end all mai tais, and a giant slice of Hula Pie. Trust me, it was heaven.

The problem is that I've been dreaming about Kimo's for well over a year. Our plane touched down on January 2nd, 2009, and since I woke from my day-long nap on the couch and adjusted myself to Central Standard Time, I have been dreaming about the seafood meal I ate at Kimo's. A few weeks ago, I saw scallops for sale in the local Market Day leaflet at church, and the heavens opened. I was going to recreate my Kimo's dinner!

This is a rough recreation of my Kimo's meal, but it's still darn good. Normally, I'm one to say, "Use whatcha got" in the kitchen, but this is an instance where you want to drop some coins on some good parmesan cheese. It really does make all the difference in the world.

Parmesan Shrimp & Scallops
Frazzoo original

1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
12 oz. bay scallops
Salt & pepper
3 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
Parmesan cheese, grated

Prepare shrimp and scallops. Pat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper on both sides.

Heat oil and butter in a large pan until sizzling. Add garlic, and saute 1 minute, until fragrent. Add scallops to pan, and cook no more than 5 minutes, turning once to create a crust on the outside. Remove to a platter and top with parmesan cheese. Cover and keep warm.

Add shrimp to pan and cook for 90 seconds per side, or until fully cooked through. Remove to platter and top with parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Notes:
  • This is a super fast meal to prepare. The minute the scallops were in the pan, I ran to set the table and by the time that was done, they were pretty much ready! This is perfect for weeknights.
  • If I had to do this again, I'd get my parmesan in a small bowl and I'd press each scallop or shrimp into the cheese to give it a nice coating. Topping it with grated cheese (or grating right over the plate) worked, but I wanted a little more.
  • I served this with jasmine rice, but noodles would work just as well.
  • This goes great with a nice white wine. I considered deglazing the pan or adding a little white wine when I tossed in the shrimp, but keeping it simple was best, I think. Not too many competing flavors, and this really allowed the seafood to shine on their own.

2 comments:

  1. Adding this to my list of recipes to try! Looks SO good! And makes me wanna go back to Maui too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dish! I have bookmarked it and will certainly give this a try! I hopped over from New Friend Friday and am so happy that I did! Hope to see you back at my place sometime soon when you get a moment. I have become a follower and hope that you will do the same. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::