Thursday, July 15, 2010

Banana Bread, or Elise's Friend Heidi's Friend Mrs. Hockmeyer's Banana Bread, As Jacked Up By Deb


I love a good banana bread. When we were in Oahu we had banana bread with breakfast everyday, and it was divine. When I was little, my mom would have banana bread muffins for breakfast everyday, and I thought having a banana bread for brunch would be a nice touch. And really, I was all about this recipe once I saw the name. I mean...really?!? Hilarious!

This is one of the few things I didn't make the day before brunch, and I still counted it toward brunch because it was so flippin' easy to throw together. It's just a mix, pour, and bake. I think I've spent more time on junk from a box--and this tastes better! Can I get a NOMNOMBNOM?

Banana Bread, OR Elise's Friend Heidi's Friend Mrs. Hockmeyer's Banana Bread, As Jacked Up By Deb
(Adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

4 ripe bananas, smashed (I used a potato masher)
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 T. bourbon
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. macadamia nuts, plus more for garnish

Heat oven to 350 F. Using a wooden spoon and a large mixing bowl, mix the melted butter into the mashed up bananas. Mix in the brown sugar, egg, vanilla, bourbon, and spices. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix well. Lastly, add the flour and mix together well. Pour into a 4 x 8 loaf pan that's been greased. Top with macadamia nuts, if desired. Bake for 50 minutes to one hour, until a tester comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool, unmold from pan, and slice into portion sizes.

Notes:
  • This smells so good baking in your oven, and it's the perfect compliment to a breakfast buffet.
  • I like the nuts, but some people don't. Including them made me feel like I was back in Honolulu, sipping a mai tai and lovin' life.

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of macadamia nuts! I don't really like walnuts in my banana bread but macadamia nuts sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great banana bread recipe. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna have to give this one a try when it's not 90+ degrees outside & I can run the oven! I'm hoping it'll turn out good with non-dairy butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew - what would your publisher say about a long title like that. LOL Looks like a good recipe. A rose by any other name .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from New Friend Friday. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Is there a way to follow your blog on GFC? Your recipes look fantastic!!
    My boyfriend is also a science teacher! I went into the Clinical aspect of science and he went into teaching. I hope that I can help in any way possible.

    Frugal Science Gal
    http://frugalsciencegal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::