Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blueberry Scones


Of everything I made for the Mother's Day Brunchapalooza, I think these were my sister's favorite. I've never been a huge fan of scones--I want to like them, but they've never been my first choice for breakfast. I'm more likely to reach for a muffin or piece of banana bread. But the kid sister? She loves scones. She was all about these bloody little buggers, and she raved about them all morning. Truth be told, these are pretty good as far as scones go. The blueberries burst while they're baking, and the ones that don't? They burst in your mouth while you're eating them! It's pretty sweet.

These are a little labor intensive, which goes against my mantra: If it ain't easy, I ain't doing it. (And my inner English major slaps my wrists for using 'ain't'.) But, these got so many good reviews that I was curious, and really, what's a brunch without scones? It's a sorry state of affairs, I tell ya! These were a pretty popular brunch item all around, so if you're up to the challenge, go for it! If not, stay tuned for raspberry scones--those were easy peasy.

Blueberry Scones
(adapted from Annie's Eats)

1 1/2 c. (roughly 8 oz.) fresh blueberries
1 stick (8 T.) unsalted butter, frozen whole
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sour cream (trust me)
2 c. all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 c. sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 T. unsalted butter, melted

Place blueberries in freezer until you need them. With oven rack in middle position, heat oven to 425 F. Grate frozen butter on the holes of a large box grater.

In a large bowl, whisk together milk and sour cream, place in refridgerator. Combine flour, 1/2 c. sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the grated butter to the flour mixture and toss with your fingers until each piece of butter is coated.

Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined. Transfer the newly made dough to a generously floured work surface. Dust the top of the dough with flour, then dust your hands with flour. Knead well, 6-8 times, until the dough just comes together in a ragged ball. Add small handfuls of flour as needed to prevent sticking. (And especially if it's humid, it will be sticking!)

Dust your rolling pin with flour and roll the dough into a 12 inch square. Fold the dough into thirds (like you're stuffing an envelope)(a dough scraper would have been a handy tool for me to have). Fold the shorter ends of the dough into the center, once again in thirds, forming a 4 inch(ish--don't freak if it's not 4 x4) square. Lightly dust a plate with flour, transfer dough to plate, and pop into the freezer for 5-10 minutes.

Return dough to floured work space and roll into a 12 inch square (yes, again). Take the blueberries from the freezer and sprinkle them evenly over the dough. Press down on them (gently) so they're a little more invested in the dough. Using a dough scraper or similar tool, roll up the dough into a tight log (as tight as you can get it without tearing the dough). Lay the log seam side down and press the log into a 12 x 4 inch rectangle. Using a sharp, floured knife, cut the rectangle into 4 equal rectangles. Cut each rectangle diagonally to form 2 triangles. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment.

If you have extra blueberries, press some of them lightly into the surface of the dough. Brush the tops of each scone with your melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until the tops and bottoms are golden brown, 18-25 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.

Notes:
  • These are totally make-ahead items. I didn't (though I should have), but Annie recommends flash freezing them on the baking sheet for about 20 minutes, then wrapping them individually and storing in a freezer bag until needed. You *may* need to increase your cooking time slightly if popping them in the oven from the freezer.
  • Obviously if you're going to freeze them, skip heating the oven.
  • These are a little more labor intensive, but they're pretty worth it.
  • Watch the bottoms! At least, if you're like me. The tops were golden brown at 20 minutes, but some of the bottoms were darker than I wanted them to be. Not sure if it's my oven or me. It's probably me.

1 comment:

  1. I'd never made scones, but I love them dipped in milk or coffee. Going to have to try these one day!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::