Monday, January 31, 2011

Cider Braised Chicken & Cabbage


Well, knock me down and steal my teeth! This was daggum good!

Hmm. Not really sure why I'm suddenly talking like a hillbilly. Forgive me?

I've made this before and blogged about it before, but I made some changes and took a nicer picture. This meal is so good that it deserves an update! The original recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson. My trip to Ireland (many moons ago) was life-changing. I finally got to visit the motherland, and I was introduced to meals that were homey and delicious, brand new and yet very familiar because they were so comforting and warm. When I picked up this cookbook a few years ago, I saw a few recipes for meals that were things I ate in Ireland, this being one of them.

Since we won't be going overseas for a little while longer, I busted out my Irish cookbooks to try and transport us to our ancestors' homeland via my Calphalon. This meal is so good. It's warm and delicious, and it encourages you to pick up some Magner's cider, thus stimulating the economy! Everybody wins!

Cider Braised Chicken & Cabbage
(Adapted from The Irish Pub Cookbook)

1/3 c. all-purpose flour
Salt & pepper
2 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin on
1/4 c. olive oil
4 cloves garlic
3 carrots, sliced thick and on the bias
1 onion, sliced into thick rounds
1 bay leaf
1/3 c. golden raisins
2 T. minced flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish (use the fresh stuff!!!)
2 T. rosemary (fresh is best, but I used dried)
2 c. shredded Savoy cabbage
1 c. chicken stock
1 bottle Irish cider, preferably Magners or Bulmers

Heat the oven to 325 F. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Pour flour into a shallow bowl and dredge chicken, shaking off excess.

In a large, heavy pottomed pot or dutch oven, warm the oil. Cook chicken for 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Add carrots, onion, and bay leaf to pot, tucking around the chicken pieces. Top with raisins, parsley, and rosemary. Top with cabbage and season the whole mess with salt and pepper. Pour stock & cider over the cabbage. Cover, and bake for 90 minutes, until chicken is nice and tender.

When chicken is done, remove from oven and taste sauce for seasonings. Add more salt & pepper if necessary, and top with fresh parsley.

Notes:
  • You can serve this with mashed potatoes or tuck the potatoes into the pot with the other vegetables.
  • Cabbage is a great vegetable and holds up nicely during the cooking process. If you do it right, the cabbage should maintain a little crunch and not be totally limp and lifeless.
  • Chicken thighs and legs would also work here. Two large breasts is more than enough for the two of us, but a whole cut up fryer would be great.
  • You can use white wine in place of the cider, but the cider is nice and crisp and adds a little something more. You can also use chicken broth or stock or water with some bullion cubes in place of the cider, but....why?

3 comments:

  1. What a rustic and unique recipe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was searching for a recipe with Magners in it, and this one looks perfect! I'm going to make it this weekend, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::