Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Potato Leek Soup



Aaaaaaaaaaand, we're back! I apologize for the exceptionally long hiatus, but my third trimester was super tiring, and after spending all day on my feet at work, spending more time on my feet preparing dinner made me nauseus, so most of our meals were things that could be prepared quickly. And, since a baby usually follows the third trimester, the last few weeks have been.....busy. :-) Thankfully, I finally found my kitchen mojo and I've been working hard at preparing meals for the two of us (those of us with teeth) that are healthy and filling.

For Christmas, my in-laws gave me the bible, a.k.a. The Joy of Cooking. It's been on my wishlist for-ev-ah, so I was really excited to crack it open and try out a few of the eleventy bajillion recipes. Since the weather in Chicago has been frigid lately (Last week, we had a high of 9 degrees. Nine! De! Grees!) I decided to make soup to help keep us warm.

This was a really nice, warm, and filling supper. I strayed a little from the recipe as it was written because, well, we was HONGRY! Breastfeeding is sucking up all my calories, man. I gots to keep my strengths up.

Potato-Leek Soup
(Adapted from Joy of Cooking)

1 1/2 T. butter
3 medium leeks, chopped (white parts only)
2 baking potatoes, peeled and diced finely
3 c. chicken stock, plus more if needed
3 T. thyme, dried or fresh
Salt & pepper, to taste

Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add leeks and cook until tender, stirring occassionally, 10-15 minutes. Stir in potatoes & chicken stock. Seaspm with thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a blender/food processor or using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Add salt & pepper to taste if necessary. Thin with additional stock if necessary.

Notes:
  • I didn't puree the soup this time because we were hungry. However, pureeing leads to a thicker texture and heartier presentation. If you want it a little finer after pureeing, push it through a strainer.
  • The addition of the herbs really punches up the flavor. I definitely recommend not skipping them.
  • Vegetable stock and chicken broth are acceptable substitutes in place of chicken stock. You can even use water flavored with bullion cubes.

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::