Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pepper Steak


Right after Hannah was born, I started craving beef. We eat chicken pretty often, and I guess that during my  pregnancy I got a little chickened out. I found this recipe from Elly of Elly Says Opa! and I'm so glad I tried it! This was easy enough for a weeknight but still hearty and filling. Best of all, it's easily adaptable and easy to prepare. We loved this and it's working its way into our usual rotation.

Pepper Steak
Adapted from Elly

1 lb. flank steak, cut against the grain into thin strips
2 T. soy sauce, divided
1 T. cornstarch
1/3 c. beef broth
2 T. Canola oil
1 onion, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper, to taste

In a shallow bowl, marinate the flank steak in 1 T. soy sauce for 15 minutes. Season with a touch of pepper. Use this time to prep your veggies, if necessary. Or, chill like I did.

Make your sauce: mix remaining T. soy sauce with cornstarch. Add beef broth and mix well, dissolving corn starch. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until crisp-tender. Increase heat and add more oil if necessary. Add beef and cook in hot oil and no longer pink in the center. Add peppers to pan and cook until crisp-tender. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Pour in the sauce, stit well to combine, and heat through. Sauce will thicken as it warms. Serve warm.

Notes:
  • Elly adds red pepper flakes, but I chose to omit them to make it more palatable for Graham.
  • I served this over jasmine rice, but I think lo mein would be a delicious side as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::