Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Grilled Rosemary Chicken on Mixed Greens


I am officially a terrible blogger. I mean, really. I have the best of intentions, and I take picture after picture, fully intending to blog, and then I forget or get busy or fall asleep on the couch, clutching a bottle of asprin and promising I'll update my blog tomorrow.

In other words, today ends in 'y'.

I dog-eared this recipe in an issue of Cook's Country I've had since Summer 2010. It got lost in the shuffle of pregnancy and new-parent-hood, and I found it last weekend when I finally (finally!) dug out my stack of cooking magazines from a pile of coupons and tupperware. It looked every bit as good as I remembered, and seeing as it's hot-time-summer-in-the-city these days, it was a perfect excuse to fire up the grill again. What really takes this meal over the top, in my opinion, is the addition of the grilled lemon. At first I was skeptical, but grilling the lemon halves mellows the tartness of the juice and adds a nice smokey flavor to the chicken. This will definitely be a repeat on our table this summer.

Grilled Rosemary Chicken
(Adapted from Cook's Country)

2 medium lemons, halved
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt, plus more for seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper, plus more for seasoning
1/3 c. olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 c. mixed greens

Grill the lemons, cut side down, over high heat, for 5 minutes, until browned and lightly caramelized. Squeeze juice from lemons into a bowl, and add mustard, rosemary, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir together. Slowly whisk in oil until mixture is emulsified. Pour off 1/3 c. of dressing and set aside.

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Brush chicken with remaining dressing. Grill over medium-high heat until well-browned, 5-8 minutes per side.

When chicken is done, dress greens with reserved dressing. (Shake well if dressing separates while chicken is cooking.) Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::