Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Garden Pasta


I simply adore summertime. I love the slow pace and the relaxed, less-frenetic approach to cooking. I love being able to snip some herbs in the morning and cook with them later in the day. I love being able to cut tomatoes from our garden and use them in our dinners. The only thing I don't like about summer? That I can't possibly cram in all the delicious seasonal meals I love. There's just never enough time! Weep. #firstworldproblems

This meal is one of those "I friggin' love summer" dishes. It takes everything that is lovely about this season and puts it on your plate. The combination of fresh herbs, fresh tomatoes, a simple dressing and presentation, and warm pasta? Noms. Dammit, now I want seconds.

Summer Garden Pasta
(Barely adapted from Ina Garten)

2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
4 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
12 large basil leaves, chiffonade
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 c. olive oil
1 lb. pasta (I used spaghetti)
1 c. grated parmesan cheese, for serving

In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave at room temperature for no more than 4 hours. Walk away. Go take a nap.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt well, and prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain well, and add to bowl with tomato and olive oil mixture. Add the cheese, toss to mix well, and serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. Well, welcome back! Love me some summer pasta salad!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::