Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer Succotash


Guess what, guys?! I likes me my veggies! And I love eating summer veggies, as evidenced by....this whole week. And, because I'm a sick and twisted individual, I like find new and creative ways to get those veggies into our weekly meals. When I saw this recipe for a Summer Succotash, I wanted to make it as soon as possible. I promptly waited four years to make that happen.

Yeah, you read that right. I've been sitting on this one for four years. Ew. That's an embarrassingly long time in Blogland. The problem is, when I first saw the recipe, I was intimidated. The next time I saw it, it was January. Then I lost it, then I found it, but it was January again, then I was pregnant and didn't have a taste for anything except chocolate and beer (and you all know which one I indulged in), and then oh-my-god-everything-else-happened and I just never made it. But once I found this card, I put it in a safe place and vowed I'd make it--for realz this time--this summer. And I did. So there.

I really liked this. I loved the combination of vegetables, the vibrant colors, the fresh and natural taste of the veggies at hand...it is a perfect summer side dish, and I will be bringing the leftovers for lunch all week. (Note: I wasn't crazy about the dressing, and I'd like to play with it some. The succotash is just as good without the dressing, in my opinion.)

Summer Succotash
(Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, Summer 2008)

1 lb. green beans, trimmed (a combo of green and wax beans works well, too)
6 oz. sugar snap peas
2 ears of corn, husked
1/4 c. EVOO
3 T. white wine vinegar
4 T. dried tarragon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 avocado
6 oz. dried cranberries
2 c. grape tomatoes, halved (I prefer the combination of red and yellow.)

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Prepare an ice water bath. Cook green beans in  boiling, salted water for one minute. Transfer to ice bath. Repeat with sugar snap peas. Repeat with corn, cooking for 2 minutes. Strip kernels from cob.

In a small bowl, mix together EVOO, vinegar, tarragon, and salt and pepper (check for seasonings). Cut avocado in half, discard pit. Cut each half into thirds, and slice again crosswise. Pull out three small avocado cubes, and mash into dressing. Mix well.

In a large bowl, combine green beans, snap peas, corn kernels, avocado pieces, dried cranberries, and tomatoes. Mix well, toss with dressing, and serve immediately.

Notes:
  • You can use fresh cranberries here, but I find they're difficult to find in June. If you do fresh, cook the cranberries (shuck them first) in the boiling, salted water for around 20 minutes. 
  • I didn't like the tang of the vinegar in the dressing. It was too strong for my tastes. The recipe card suggests champagne vinegar as an alternative. I think 2 T. of vinegar, either type, is more than sufficient.
  • Fresh tarragon would be great here, but I didn't plant any this season. Whomp whomp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::