Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A New Name, A New Focus

Me and the Munchkin

If you're one of my three readers, you'll see that a few things have changed over here. First, yes, this is still Angie's recipe blog. Second, my URL is still the same. Third, the entire point of my blog is still the same.

What's changed? Well, first the layout. My previous layout was much beloved by me. I liked the muted style, and I liked the vibe. I really liked the functionality. I liked the search feature. What didn't I like? That it wasn't reliable. It would fade in and out, leaving me with a really wonky, plain white background that no one liked. I finally found a template I liked enough that will serve me until I find a permanent solution. I'm really digging the yellow, though.

The most major change is this: My blog's name. Adventures in Home Cooking is no more. Now, I know this is a major, cardinal rule of blogging. Longtime, more established bloggers are currently screaming at their computer screens, sounding the death knell, and holding in a sick desire to slap me silly. "Nooooooooo! You'll lose all your readers!!! Noooooooooo!"

Here's the thing: when I started this blog in 2008, I didn't have ANY audience. Just a few FB friends and supportive family. For them, I'm extremely grateful. And when I started the blog, every cute name I thought of had already been taken. I decided on A Year In The Kitchen and discovered that someone already had that blog name. Whoops! Same with Pulp Kitchen. And sadly, Angie's Eats sounds a little too much like another (very) popular blog I read. So because I'd never been much of a cook before, and not at all a baker, beginning my kitchen journey was an adventure, so Adventures in Home Cooking was born. Since then, I've grown in my culinary ways, and while it's still an 'adventure', the blog name didn't really suit us anymore. It was long and cumbersome and didn't really fit with my personality. I've been tossing around the idea of changing the name for close to a year, never settling on anything I liked. I wanted the blog to more accurately reflect me, my voice, and my life. After throwing together different words and using 11,000+ combinations, I decided I liked the sound of My Chicago Kitchen. It's slightly alliterative, it tells you where I'm blogging from, and what to expect. Nothing fancy, nothing ridiculous, nothing too out there. Just me, in my kitchen, in Chicago.

The food will stay the same. My voice will stay the same. The template will change from time to time as I get bored. But that's me, guys! And you love me, don't you?

4 comments:

  1. You have more than 3 readers!

    TST - Fellow Mac Alum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks TST! 4 readers! Wooo hoo! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Branny! I'm a loyal South Sider. Born n' raised that way. :-)

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::