Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chocolate Ice Cream


Sometimes I like to come up with prettier-sounding names for my recipes. Most of the time, I call it like it is, mainly because I can't stand the pretension. I feel strange about calling this "Chocolate Ice Cream", though, because it doesn't do it justice. This is supremely fabulous ice cream. It's rich, delicious, creamy, chocolaty...did I mention it's delicious? Because if I didn't...it is. It's really, really delicious.

I'm a self-professed chocoholic, and when I'm at my neighborhood 31 Flavors, it's my go-to ice cream. Thanks to this recipe, I'll never need another one. I'm fairly confident that had I not forcibly removed myself from the ice cream maker, I'd have licked the dasher clean, then dug into the bowl and polished off the rest of it. If you have an ice cream maker, please make it right now. Go! What are  you doing? GO!

Then bring me some. It is National Ice Cream Month. It's the right thing to do.

Chocolate Ice Cream
(Adapted from The Ice Cream Bible The Perfect Scoop, by David Leibovitz)

2 c. heavy cream, divided
3 T. Dutch process cocoa
5 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped finely (I used semisweet)
1 c. whole milk
3/4 c. sugar
Pinch table salt
5 large egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla ice cream

In a large pot (I used a dutch oven), combine 1 c. of cream with the cocoa powder. Over medium-high heat, whisk quickly to dissolve the cocoa. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove the pot from the heat and add your chopped chocolate. Whisk together until melted and smooth. Stir in the remaining cup of cream. Pour this mixture into a large mixing bowl, and set a fine mesh sieve over the top.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Set aside.

In that same pot, combine the milk, sugar, and salt. Stir together to dissolve the sugar. Warm the mixture over medium-high heat. When the milk is warm, gradually whisk the milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. This is tempering the egg yolks so they don't scramble over the heat. Return the milk and egg mixture to the pot and continue warming over medium-high heat, stirring CONSTANTLY and constantly stirring at the bottom of the pot. This will keep your eggs from scrambling. Keep scraping the bottom of the pan with a spatula, and continue stirring until the mix is thickened. (Approx. 170* F.)

Remove from the heat, and pour through the mesh sieve into the large bowl. Stir in the vanilla extract and mix well.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours. (I chilled overnight.) When chilled, freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Enjoy right then and there (seriously, I dare you NOT to), or freeze until ready to serve.

Notes:

  • Homemade ice cream freezes harder than the store-bought stuff, so keep that in mind when serving.
  • Once you eat homemade ice cream, you will never go back. This I can promise you. It's a bit of work, but so, so worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I've made this recipe before and it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so, so good, isn't it? I wanted some last night but it was too late by the time I got home. #firstworldproblems

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::