Friday, July 27, 2012

Graham's Gluten Free Fridays: Pound Cake


For the 4th of July, I like to make treats, snacks, and meals that are just a little bit special. I like them to be festive. Baking a treat for July 4th is the only reason I willingly fire up my oven in the middle of summer. In the middle of a summer heatwave, no less! We had four straight days of 100+ temps over the 4th, and I still baked. That's love, folks. (Or maybe the heat was just getting to me.)

A few days before the 4th, Graham requested pound cake. I was already making ice cream, and ice cream and pound cake have always been friends. I found a few recipes that looked interesting, but couldn't find the coconut flour they asked for. So I made a few adaptations, and it came out pretty well. This was my first GF baking attempt, so I was nervous, but thankfully this wasn't a flop. Why thankfully, you ask? Because now I'm not terrified of GF baking.

I liked how this came out. I loved the crispy end bits, and the baking mix I used, Pamela's, has a texture perfect for this kind of dessert. The mix is slightly darker and nuttier in color, so the whole cake is darker than traditional pound cake, but it makes no difference in flavor. In fact, this was the first GF treat I've tried where I couldn't taste the difference between Gluten-Free and Gluten-Laden. Winning!

If you need a GF dessert, or are just looking to experiment, this is perfect for a first-timer. It's simple, tasty, and easy on the tummy. What more could you ask for?

Gluten-Free Pound Cake
(Adapted from Filipo Berio via Gluten-Free Easily)

2 1/4 c. gluten-free flour
1 21/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. canola oil
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 T. orange juice
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 eggs
2/3 c. whole milk

Heat oven to 350* F. Combine flour, sea salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle beater, pour in the oil and slowly add the sugar, orange juice, and vanilla. Mix after each addition. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.

Pour in milk and mix 2-3 mins. Add dry ingredients slowly and mix well.

Pour into tube pan, and bake for 50-60 mins. Let cool in pan for 10 mins, then invert onto a plate and cool completely.  Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::