Sunday, August 12, 2012

Crispy Ginger-Lime Chicken


Every now and then, I want to get creative in the kitchen, but I don't really know where to start. I'm great at following directions and recipes, but winging it always leaves me a little nervous. So when I see a recipe that is creative and new, I get all crazy excited because I feel like I'm the one winging it.

This is another recipe from Everyday Food. Again, it's a recipe I wasn't entirely certain of when I first saw it, but it quickly won me over. It smells great while cooking, and it's a good way to use up some ginger and green onions that are hanging out in the fridge. Curry powder aside, it relies on pantry and freezer staples, so it comes together quickly for a weeknight meal. I added this to our rotation, and I'm so, so glad I did. Nomnomnomnomnom.

Crispy Ginger-Lime Chicken
(Adapted from Everyday Food)

1 T. finely grated ginger
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp. curry powder
4 green onions, green and white parts, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs, or 2 bone-in, skin on chicken breasts

Heat broiler. Set your rack approx. 5 inches from the heat if this is an option on your stove.

In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, lime juice, curry powder, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Place chicken on broiler pan. Season well with salt and pepper. Using your fingers, gently loosen skin from each piece of chicken. Evenly divide the ginger mixture and spread under skin on the chicken.

Turn your chicken skin-side down and broil approx. 5 minutes. Flip chicken pieces and broil until done (165* F.) and skin is crispy. Depending on the size of your chicken, this should be less than 10 minutes. For breasts, this will take longer.

Notes:

  • Obvs, I served this with rice. EF suggests couscous as a side. Brown rice or jasmine rice would be great, as would some rice noodles. Anything a little "shy" to counteract the bright flavors going on in your chicken. Roasted potatoes would work, too.
  • You're broiling here, so really watch your chicken so it doesn't get too burned. Also, check the temperature of your chicken before you serve. It should read 165*-170* F. on an instant-read thermometer stuck in the thickest part of the chicken AWAY from the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::