Monday, September 10, 2012

Creamy Chicken "Benchiladas"



I know, I know, it's been a while. I promise I'm going to update my recipe blog and then I fall off the wagon. Just like politicians, I make promises I can't seem to keep. It's not that I don't mean to, or even want to, I just suck at blogging. If it makes you feel any better, life for us has been INSANELY busy since late July and in the last few weeks we've dealt with a minor surgery for Graham, a "conversation" that lead to a job offer for me, back to school for Graham, and the threat of a teachers' union strike. In short, I'm exhausted.

Meanwhile, back on the ranch....I've been holding out on you. I made these enchiladas for the first time a few months ago, and I've made them several times since. A few years ago, I was on a cooking message board and one popular member shared this recipe. Almost immediately, it got rave reviews and was re-blogged and shared dozens of times. That was in 2008. Obvs. I got on even making this recipe ZOMG RIGHT AWAY! ::eyeroll:: Regardless, I'm sharing it now. And I love it, and I'm telling you right now that you should make these enchiladas for dinner tonight. Go! Go right now! They're easy, delicious, filling, and crazy addictive. This meal was one of the few that all three of us agreed was delicious.

Creamy Chicken "Benchiladas"
(Adapted from Annie's Eats)

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked (You need at least 6 c. shredded chicken)
6 oz. reduced-fat sour cream, divided
8 oz. ranch salad dressing, divided
10-15 tortillas (I prefer flour, Graham eats the corn)
15 oz. salsa, prepared or homemade
3-4 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend

If not already cooked, prepare you chicken breasts using your preferred method (I roast or bake, usually). When cooked, set aside to cool, then shred.

As chicken cools, mix together 3 oz. sour cream and 4 oz. salad dressing in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the remaining sour cream and ranch dressing. Stir both until well-combined. Add your shredded chicken to the large bowl and mix well with the sauce.

Heat your oven to 375 F. Grease a large 9x13" pan. Take one tortilla and add 1 T. of sauce from the smaller bowl, spreading evenly throughout. Add a few spoonfuls of the chicken mixture to the tortilla, followed by salsa (to taste) and some shredded cheese (to taste). Roll up the tortilla and place in the prepared dish, seam side down. Repeat, making 10-15 enchiladas. Top with cheese if you prefer.

Bake 25-30 minutes. Serve with salsa, sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.

Notes:

  • These are pretty simple, but they can be a little labor intensive if you're working on it one-handed or with a toddler at your feet. Using prepared chicken really helps!
  • Great. Now I'm hungry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::