Friday, September 28, 2012

Graham's Gluten-Free Fridays: Steak Fajitas


I love fajitas. I have a go to recipe, but sometimes I just find myself craving something a little different. I found these fajitas in a recent issue of Everyday Food and knew they'd be just the ticket. In addition to satisfying my fajita craving, they were a little different than my usual preparation, and they'd help use up the flank steak sitting in my fridge.

Much as I love chicken fajitas, these were a nice alternative to my usual preparation. Go ahead, make them before it gets too cold. (And even then, the grill is a great way to warm up in cold weather.)

Steak Fajitas
(Adapted from Everyday Food)

Juice of one lime
1 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lbs. flank steak
2 T. canola oil
2 red onions, sliced
2 bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, or green), cut into 1/2 in. strips, ribs and seeds removed
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 flour or corn tortillas
Sour cream, cilantro, guacamole, etc. for serving

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add steak, and turn the bag to coat. Marinate in the fridge 20 mins to 1 hour.

Heat grill to medium-high. Cook until browned on both sides, 5-8 minutes per side. Remove to plate and cover with foil. (If cooking on the stove, here is where you heat your oven to 350* F.)

Wrap a stack of tortillas in aluminum foil. Bake or toss on the grill until warmed through, 10 minutes.

In a grill skillet or on the stove, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft, 10 minutes. Add garlic slices and cook until fragrant, no more than 1 minute.

Slice steak into thin strips. Serve with onions, peppers, and assorted accompaniments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::