Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Island Chicken


When we first got married, I relied on my church cookbook as thought it was my third arm. I had a small handful of meals I knew how to make "from scratch", but I realized soon after our wedding that I was flying blind in the kitchen. I used that church cookbook nightly for at least six months, and at that time, I probably made this chicken weekly. If you asked me for the recipe, I could have rattled it off in my sleep. It's one of my fail-safe recipes when we're in a hurry and need dinner on the table ASAP. If you have five minutes, you can make this chicken, and dinner will be on the table in no time flat.

Island Chicken
(Adapted from Simple Pleasures, Tasty Treasures, as submitted by Tina C.)

1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 T. lemon juice
2 T. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

In a large plastic bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Add chicken to bag, and coat with marinade. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and seal. Refrigerate at least 8 hours (overnight or all day).

When ready to cook, heat oven to 350* F. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and cook approximately 30 minutes.

Notes:
  • I like to serve this with rice (white or brown) and a steamed vegetable. (See above.)
  • The original recipe calls for pouring the used marinade over the chicken and cooking, but I don't like that at all. If I feel like I'll need it, I whip up an extra batch of the marinade and keep it separately in the fridge, and pour that over the chicken just before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::