Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tequila-Lime Chicken with Spicy Black Beans


A few months ago, I was home sick. When I felt well enough to crawl out of bed and search for food, I turned on Food Network, naturally. I found myself watching an old episode of Barefoot Contessa, and Ina made this chicken. I knew I was feeling better because the thought of tequila didn't make me sick. As I searched the internet for similar recipes, I found that a number of bloggers had made this chicken with the accompanying  black beans from Annie's Eats. Annie....you're everywhere, man.

I love this chicken. We have made this meal so many times over the course of the summer, and it's a winner each time. We all love the flavor of the chicken, and even Hannah will eat the beans (sometimes). It's a great warm-weather meal, though I'm sure that temptation will get the better of me during the colder months and I'll be grilling this indoors.

Tequila-Lime Chicken with Spicy Black Beans
(Chicken adapted from Ina Garten, Beans adapted from Annie's Eats)

Chicken:
1/4 c. tequila
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
1/4 c. fresh orange juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1 small jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Beans:
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, diced
1 15 oz. can black beans (or 15 oz. cooked beans), drained and rinsed
1/4 c. chicken broth
Cumin
1 envelope fajita seasoning
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 c. frozen corn

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, chili powder, jalapeno, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well, then add chicken breasts to bag. Squeeze out all the air, seal the bag, and turn to coat chicken in marinade. Place in the fridge to marinate all day/all night.

When ready to cook the chicken, fire up the grill. Oil the grates well (keeps your food from sticking), and cook chicken until cooked through and well-browned, 15-20 minutes. As an alternate method of preparation, I'm sure you could heat your oven to 350* F, sear the chicken in a pan, and then finish cooking it in the oven. I've never tried it, but it appears to have worked for other bloggers.

As the chicken cooks, work on the black beans. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno and stir, sauteing for one minute. Add the black beans and cook until warmed through. Add in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Season lightly with cumin, stir in the packet of fajita seasoning, and your pinch of cayenne pepper. Taste for salt and pepper and season if necessary. Bring the mixture back to a simmer and cook until liquid has reduced, about 5-10 minutes. (You want a little liquid left in the pot.) Stir in the frozen corn and cook until warmed through.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::