Monday, September 17, 2012

Tomato Cobbler with Gruyere Biscuits


That's right. You heard me. Tomato Cobbler with Gruyere Biscuits. Seriously. If DJ Tanner were here, you just know she'd let loose an, "Oh my-lanta!" for this one.

I saw this featured last fall on Annie's Eats and fell in love. Unfortunately, it wasn't a meal I could execute at the time because I didn't have any days where I was cooking just for me. By the time that day rolled around and I was able to gorge myself on cheese and cream sauce and deliciousness, tomato season was over. It just seemed wrong to use winter tomatoes for a dish like this one, so I waited. And I waited. And boy, did I wait. And then, a few weeks ago, a light in the darkness: Graham split his finger open on our camping trip. I made this meal the day of his surgery, when we came home and I knew that he'd be groggy and not really in the mood for much to eat. And if he did feel like eating, he wasn't in any place to be picky. Score one for Frazzoo.

I really loved this. It was delicious and savory and had a few layers of flavor, making it all the more delicious, in my opinion. I was able to use tomatoes from our garden (Hooray! Uber-local eating!) and aside from the cheese, I had everything I needed to make this in the pantry. I strongly advise that you make this once before the end of tomato season. Please do. It just wants you to enjoy it. And what better way to say goodbye to summer than with one last pile of tomato-y deliciousness?

Tomato Cobbler with Gruyere Biscuits
(Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, via Annie's Eats)

Filling:
2 T. EVOO
2 T. unsalted butter
2 medium onions, halved and sliced into half-moons
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh thyme
3 lbs. grape tomatoes
3 T. flour (all-purpose or GF, plus 1 tsp. xantham gum)
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Pinch black pepper

Biscuit topping:
2 c. flour (same as above, all-purpose or GF, plus 2 tsp. xantham gum)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
8 T. cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 c. grated Gruyere cheese, plus a little extra for the top
1 1/2 c. heavy cream

For the filling, combine the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until caramelized and golden brown. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook till fragrant, no more than 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Heat the oven to 375* F. In a very large bowl, combine the onion mixture, tomatoes, flour, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Mix together, coating tomatoes.

To make the biscuits, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, mixing until the dough is crumbly and small clumps form. (Alternately, you could do this in a food processor and pulse until the butter is approximately the size of peas.) Mix in the cheese. Stir in the cream using a fork until a sticky dough forms and all your dry ingredients are incorporated.

Pour the tomato mixture into a 9x13" baking dish. Drop the biscuit dough by 1/4 c. scoops evenly over the tomatoes. Sprinkle the top with any additional grated cheese. Bake until the cobbler is bubbling and the biscuits are golden, approx. 70 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Notes:

  • The Gruyere is a soft cheese, so keep it cool until you need it. It will be much easier to grate that way.
  • This was my first attempt at "winging it" and subbing the AP flour with GF and xantham gum, and it went over really well! I thought for sure that the biscuits would fall apart and result in me crying and rocking in the corner. I'm crazy proud of myself for not executing a failure of epic proportions.
  • I served this as a side dish, but this could easily be served as a main dish for your Meatless Mondays or Lenten Fridays. Totally flexible.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, this sounds interesting! I've never had anything like this before. YUMMY

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::