Friday, October 5, 2012

GGFF: Grilled Steak with Balsamic Tomato Jam


I know I've said it here hundreds of times: Graham would be happy if we ate nothing but steak and potatoes daily. Not that his tastes are extravagant, in fact his needs and tastes when it comes to food are pretty simple.  He knows what he likes, and in general he likes beef and potatoes. He has simple wants.

As a result, I look for ways to keep it interesting for me. When I saw this on Pink Parsley, I knew it was the perfect way to use up the last of our summer tomatoes, as well as make one of Graham's favorite meals a little more fun for me. And this jam? It was really good. Next time, I'm planning on making a double batch so I can eat some of it with a spoon while our steaks grill up. The only suggestion I'd make for you, and for myself for next time? I'm adding bacon.

Grilled Steak with Balsamic Tomato Jam
(Adapted from Cooking Light, August 2009 and Pink Parsley)

2 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
2 pinches pepper, divided
1 tsp. EVOO
1 shallot, diced
1 c. diced tomato
1 T. water
1 T. balsamic vinegar
Pinch salt
2 strip steaks, trimmed (or prepared how you like)
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a small bowl, combine 1 clove garlic, 1/4 tsp. salt, rosemary, and 1 pinch pepper. Set aside.

In a small skillet, heat EVOO to medium-high. Add shallots to pan and cook till softened, 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining garlic clove and cook till fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomato, water, vinegar, and a pinch of salt.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until most all the liquid has evaporated. Add in last pinch of pepper and set aside.

Heat grill over medium-high heat, or using a skillet over medium-high. Season steaks with salt and pepper to taste, then season well with garlic-rosemary mixture. Cook to desired degree of doneness.

Remove from the grill and rest for 5 minutes. Top with balsamic tomato jam to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::