Friday, October 26, 2012

GGFF: Cream of Chicken Soup

Late night food photography at it's finest.
I'm not a big fan of casseroles that rely on "cream of ___" soups. They're not terrible, but there's a certain happiness that comes with eating a casserole bound with a rich cream sauce, or a delicious cheese sauce. Give me a rich, savory white sauce, and you'll find in me a happy woman.

Graham's favorites, however, usually involve the opposite: Cream of Something. It's not a terrible thing, really. They're comforting, homey. And hell, they're easy! But since the discovery that he's sensitive, if not completely intolerant, to gluten? Many of his favorite casseroles were suddenly off-limits. When he requested chicken & rice a few weeks ago, one of his all-time favorites, I knew I had to come up with something. In my search for a can of GF soup, I learned that I could easily recreate it at home for us. All the ingredients are already in my cabinets or fridge, and after a few minutes, I have cream of chicken soup that tastes far better than the canned stuff.

Gluten-Free Cream of Chicken Soup
(Hardly adapted from Gluten-Free Works)

1 c. heavy cream
1 T. butter
1 T. Better than Bouillon chicken base
2 T. cornstarch
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a small saucepan, heat cream. When warmed through and barely simmering, begin whisking and whisking constantly, add butter, chicken base, and cornstarch. Whisk together for 2 minutes. When thoroughly combined, season with salt and pepper. Use immediately, serve and eat, or cool to room temperature and freeze.

Notes:

  • This freezes beautifully. However, it will thicken up quite a bit, so I thin it with some chicken broth as I reheat it.
  • It's not healthy, but you could substitute milk or half and half for the cream, margarine for the butter, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::