Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas


My ongoing love affair with enchiladas continues. I know. It's kind of ridiculous that in all the years I've been cooking and blogging that I never understood the power of the enchilada, and then suddenly, I have been shown the way, the truth, the light, and the enchilada. And it is good, my friends. It is very, very good.

Like the rest of America, I saw this recipe on Pinterest. When it was repinned by four of my friends in a row, I figured I had to try it. I mean, these are people whose gastronomic tastes I trust as well as my own. How could they lead me wrong? And they didn't. This recipe comes from the newest group blog on the block, Six Sisters' Stuff. I don't know who the sisters are, and I don't even care. This meal is UH-MAZE-ING. I will probably be thinking about these until I die, they're that good. I mean, look at that picture. There are at least four enchiladas that have met their maker and drowned in a pool of cheesy, creamy goodness. When my time comes, that's exactly how I'd like to go.

I really loved these. If Hannah had been in an eating mood that night, she'd probably have loved them. Thankfully, Graham was on a retreat so I got to keep the pan all for myself. And the next night, when we had leftovers, I had the rest of the pan. I should be ashamed of how quickly and masterfully I put these babies away, but they're so good that I really don't care what you think of Angie the Fatty right now. Go make these. Go! Go right now! Why aren't these in your life?????

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
(Barely-almost-not-at-all-adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff)

6 T. honey
5 T. fresh squeezed lime juice
1 T. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 lb. chicken, cooked and shredded
8-10 corn or flour tortillas
2 c. shredded Monterrey-Jack cheese, divided
16 oz. green enchilada sauce, divided
1 c. heavy cream

Mix up the marinade: in a large plastic bag, mix together the honey, lime juice, chili powder, and garlic powder. Add in the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate in the fridge a minimum of four hours. Pour out any remaining marinade.

Heat oven to 350* F. In a 9x13 inch pan, pour half the enchilada sauce. Heat tortillas for 30 seconds in microwave, wrapped in a damp paper towel. Working one at a top, place 3 T. chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla, following by 1 T. cheese. Roll tortilla and place seam side down in the pan. Continue with remaining tortillas and chicken.

Mix together remaining enchilada sauce and cream and pour over the tortillas. Top with all remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until you can't stand it anymore. Top with favorite accouterments.

Notes:

  • The original recipe called for re-purposing the marinade in the heavy cream mixture. Since that's not at all safe, I'd suggest making a second batch of marinade and refridgerating it until you're ready to use it.  I didn't do this and didn't think it was missing anything.
  • I used every last shred of cheese in the bag, and hot damn....mmmmm....

3 comments:

  1. Yum!! These look sooo good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. And they weren't all that difficult, either.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::