Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Black Bean Chili


Ashlee was probably my first food blogging friend. I've always admired her blog and her country challenge posts were always pretty amazing. I mean, the woman cooked her way around the world! When I saw her post this recipe in August, I started counting down the days until I could make this for myself. I mean, why the hell not?! It's fall in a freakin' bowl. And that bowl is delicious.

My favorite part of this meal is that it's easily customizable, so if you prefer more heat, add some more chilies  If you want less, take them out. Done and done. Make this now, before Autumn passes you by and the holiday season is upon us--because if you're like me, you'll feel guilty eating pumpkin during the Christmas season. And guilt is wrong.

(Note: Ash hasn't blogged in a long time, but as an homage to her I set up my picture as a nod to hers. I have zero creativity, so consider her the genius behind the shot.)

Pumpkin Black Bean Chili
(Adapted from Veggie by Season)

3 T. EVOO
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 T. chili powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. cumin
12 oz. pumpkin beer
2 T. pure maple syrup
1 1/2-2 cans pumpkin puree (I'd start on the lower end, unless you really like pumpkin)
28 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
2 c. vegetable stock
30 oz. black beans (2 cans)
10 oz. bag frozen corn kernels
Shredded Colby-Jack cheese (optional)
Corn chips

Warm olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. When warm, add onions, garlic, and pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook veggies until softened, about 10 minutes. Add in spices and beer, scraping up the bottom of the pot as you go. Cook for 2 minutes, then turn heat to high. Add maple syrup, pumpkin, tomatoes, and stock. Simmer, then lower heat. Add beans and corn, then cook, covered, for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese. Serve with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy with corn chips.

Notes:

  • I upped the amount of pumpkin in this because I felt like my chili turned out far more soupy than other versions of this, and I prefer a chunkier consistency.
  • You can sub beef stock if you prefer, or even water. I prefer stock because of the extra flavor.
  • I brought this for lunch one day, and it started a mini-revolution at work. I think 3 of my coworkers have gone on to make this meal, which is a lot when you work for a company that employs fewer than 20 people.
  • I was skeptical, but go for the fire-roasted tomatoes. Trust me. Especially if you aren't adding much heat, the fire roasted tomatoes add a level of flavor that's really great.

4 comments:

  1. You're so sweet :) I keep trying to blog, but I've lost my mojo in the kitchen lately. Hopefully the holidays will inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I definitely fell off the wagon for a long while, then disappeared from WC. Pretty sure my SIL and my mom were the only two checking my blog with any frequency. And hey, you're a kitchen queen! I always check your blog for meal ideas.

      Delete
  2. I made this tonight and it was a little too "beer-y" for me - prob because I don't drink at all. I think I'll make it again and reduce or replace the beer. I just happened to have pumpkin beer around in preparation for a party so it was too well timed not to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny about this is that I made it and said, "Hm. Can't taste much of the beer." I'm so Midwestern, it's not even funny.

      I hope you like it with the changes you make! It's all about your comfort level with something like that.

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::