Friday, November 2, 2012

GGFF: Cream of Mushroom Soup


Continuing from last week, I'm continuing in my quest to find GF substitutes for those everyday ingredients that had to be sidelined once our house went (mostly) gluten-free. It was pretty easy to find the flours and mixes, and to focus on the fruits, vegetables, meats, and naturally GF grains. What continues to trip me up are the ingredients that make up some of our favorite meals. Going back to last week, some of my husband's favorite comfort foods were way-laid because we couldn't find a gluten-free soup substitute. So what's a clever, stubborn woman--such as myself--to do? Find a way to make those ingredients myself, or die trying.

Obviously, I've lived to see another day. This GF substitute for another "cream of condensed something" soup is great. It tastes better than the canned stuff, and I can control  the amount of salt and seasonings in it. More than that, I can make sure there's actual mushrooms in it, rather than teensy chopped up pieces that get lost in the soup. Like my previous GF sub for condensed soup, this one freezes well and packs a lot of flavor. It comes together quickly, and it makes quite a bit of soup--enough for at least 3 cans of the condensed stuff. I plan on making another few batches to freeze and have on hand during the winter.

GF Cream of Mushroom Soup
(Hardly adapted from Gluten-Free Cooking)

3 T. butter
8 oz. fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 small sweet onion, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T. sweet rice flour (GF)
1 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream or whole milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh herbs, for garnish

Melt butter in a large saucepan. When butter is melted, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until soft, approx. 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine with vegetables. Cook 2-3 minutes.

Stir in chicken broth. Add cream, stirring occasionally. Soup will thicken as it stands. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs--chives are my personal favorite--and serve warm or use immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::