Friday, December 28, 2012

Corn & Potato Chowder

corn chowder

In the mania of The Holidays, sometimes it's nice for a change of pace. After weeks and weeks of parties, rich and decadent food, and schlepping from one event to the next, we all just need a few days to relax and wind down. For me especially, the schedule at my new job has been hectic and filled with long hours since nearly the beginning.

For this month's Blogger's Choice swap, I was assigned yet another new-to-me blog, Jenna's Cooking Journey. I was tickled to learn she's from Wyoming, as my soon-to-be-brother-in-law is also from Wyoming. (I like to pretend he's a cowboy.) I spent a long time looking at Jenna's blog for a recipe and I kept coming back to this corn chowder. When we went out for our anniversary dinner, our server mentioned they had a corn chowder as a special that evening. I opted for the chopped salad instead, but my mind kept wandering to that chowder. When I saw this, I knew it was a sign from the universe telling me to get myself some soup. Since the weather in Chicago has finally turned cold and we actually got some snow on the ground, I knew this would be perfect. And what better way than to wind down from all that holiday food than with a hearty bowl of soup?

This makes a huge batch. I had some for my supper, but then I saved smaller portions of it to have for my lunch later on in the week. I'm glad to have found Jenna's blog, and once again thanks to Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking for hosting this month's swap.

Corn & Potato Chowder
(Barely adapted from Jenna's Cooking Journey)

1 lb. bacon, diced
3 T. butter
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
24 oz. frozen corn
4 1/2 c. milk
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. grated mild cheddar cheese (or sharp, if you prefer)
1 c. sour cream
3 scallions, chopped, divided

Set a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp, then remove to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside. At this point, you can drain off some of the fat. (I drained off all but 1 T.) Add butter to pot and when it's melted, add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until the onion is translucent. Stir in flour and season with salt and pepper. Stir until it's smooth and sans lumps.

Whisking or stirring constantly, add milk, followed by chicken broth. Add in potatoes and corn, and return the bacon pieces to the pot. Cover, and cook over medium-low for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more chicken broth if the soup seems too thick. Check for seasonings and add more salt and pepper if necessary.

Remove pot from heat. Stir in cheese, sour cream, and 2 T. scallions. Stir until sour cream and cheese have melted in, and serve garnished with remaining scallions.




1 comment:

  1. This does make a lot of soup! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::