Monday, December 3, 2012

Creamy Turkey & Wild Rice Soup

creamy turkey wild rice soup2


It was a sick weekend in the MCK household. First Hannah came down with a cold, and it seemed like I had it within minutes of noticing Hannah's symptoms. No bueno. As a result, we were both a little crabby and cranky, with runny eyes and noses and sore throats.

When Hannah is sick, she runs to me, her mommy. She needs extra cuddles and was perfectly content to sit next to me (or on me) and cuddle and read and be read to. When she was ready for bed, she asked me, "Down to bed now?" and waddled her little almost-two-year-old self into her bed. (Oh, can't it always be this way?)

Unfortunately for me, that left very little time to take care of myself and wallow in my "I don't feel good" misery. When you're sick, you just want mommy. Since moving out and getting married, I've got to be my own mommy. It sounds sad, but it's actually pretty neat when I don't have a little one to care for. I get to sleep and rest as much as I want, watch garbage television, and make myself some soup.

This soup is one I discovered in late 2011 after we were left with copious amounts of turkey after my family's Christmas celebration. We felt into immediate love, and I actually found myself making excuses to make the soup all throughout winter. It gives me everything I need at any given time: some good kitchen therapy, a comforting, hearty meal, and that magical healing quality found in your favorite soup.

creamy turkey wild rice soup


Creamy Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
(Pretty much not at all adapted from A Farm Girl's Dabbles)

1 c. cooked wild rice
1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
1 onion, diced
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped into 1/4 in. coins
8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
8 c. chicken broth
2 c. half and half
2 T. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried parsley
4 c. cooked, shredded turkey
Juice of half a lemon

First, cook your rice if you haven't already. Depending on your taste preferences, this will take about an hour.

In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat butter until melted. Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic to the pot, stirring often. Cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in flour and coat vegetables. Cook until it just starts to bubble, then pour in the broth, gradually and stirring often. Bring the soup to a low boil, let boil for one minute, then reduce heat and add in the rice, half and half, soy sauce, salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme, and parsley. Give it a big ole stir, then add in the turkey. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until completely warmed through. When soup is warm, stir in the lemon juice and taste for seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::