Friday, December 7, 2012

GGFF: Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups

chicken mozz rollups

One of my very favorite comfort foods is a breaded, hearty, carb-o-riffic plate of chicken parmesan. Thinking back to the very start of our marriage five years ago (!!!), chicken parmesan (or parmesan chicken, depending on your fancy) was one of the very first meals we enjoyed together--because it was one of the only meals I knew how to make. As such, we enjoyed it often, and continued to enjoy it season after season. 

In the spring, after Graham went gluten-free, I knew I'd have to modify one of our favorite meals in order to keep it on our rotation. I still haven't found a breaded option we all love (because GF breadcrumbs are gross), but this bread-less version is pretty darn good, easy to make, and makes for a cute presentation.

Chicken Parmesan Roll-Ups
(Angie original, inspired by various pins and CP recipes online)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
4 tsp. basil, divided
4 roasted red pepper halves (I used jarred), trimmed to fit inside the chicken breasts
8 T. shredded mozzarella cheese, plus more for topping
1 jar favorite marinara sauce (or 1 1/2 c. prepared marinara)
Toothpicks

Heat oven to 375 F. Lay chicken down in front of you and sprinkle each piece with 1 tsp. basil, 1 red pepper, and 2 T. cheese. Roll up the chicken breasts and secure them with your toothpicks. 

Pour 1 c. marinara into the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. pan and nestle in your roll-ups, seam side down. Top with remaining marinara and additional cheese. Bake uncovered 20-30 minutes, until cooked through. When ready to serve, spoon cooked marinara over the top.

5 comments:

  1. Yum, yum! Oh crap, I just realized that exactly what we say to Connor when we want him to eat something. I have the vocabulary of a 15 month old baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I've been doing that, too. "Oh, this is YUMMY!" Then I realize there's no baby around and I feel like a moron.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ooops! Thanks for catching that! I used dried, but I bet a leaf of fresh basil, or pieces of torn would be great too.

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing, Angie!! Chicken stuffed with any kind of cheese puts me in heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::