Tuesday, January 1, 2013

...and a Happy New Year!

To you and yours, a blessed and prosperous 2013! If you are one of my few but faithful readers, thank you so much for sticking with me on this blogging journey. In a few months, my blog will turn 5 years old, and while I've taken a hiatus here and there, I'm incredibly proud of the progress I've made and the way my little corner of the internet has grown. I've made some good blogging friends over the last few years, and I'm excited to see where the next year takes me and my blog.

I was never very good at keeping New Year's resolutions, but I've come up with a few that I think are doable and make sense for me and my family.

1. Ask myself, "Where is the color?" It's so easy to fall into a trap when planning my menu. I almost always throw a green salad on the menu when I don't know what vegetable to serve with a meal, and usually I end up rushing to throw dinner together and foregoing the salad, or I look in the crisper and find there's no lettuce. I really want to make a conscious effort to add more color to our meals. We owe it to ourselves to eat more vegetables and get more healthy foods in our diet.

2. Cook from one cookbook a week (or month). I have a cookbook collection that is fairly impressive. I'm always asking for cookbooks for Christmas and my birthday, but usually I find myself getting into a rut with my menu planning and I turn to my favorite blogs and websites, not the shelves (yes, shelves) of cookbooks in my kitchen. I really want to change that in this year. My goal is to sit down with one of my cookbooks each week and use it to plan my menu. (The goal is weekly, but I know that will probably change if I continue to have crazy busy seasons at work like I have thus far.) If I can't get inspired from a particular cookbook or don't like the meals that I'm making with it, I'm going to put it in the donation bag for that month.This way, I make the most use of what I already have in front of me, and as I slim down my collection, I know I'll be keeping my most favorite cookbooks.

3. Finalize and begin my 30x30 list. I've been working on this list for.....5 months? Maybe 6? There's a lot I want to accomplish before I turn the big ::gulp:: 3-0 next year. I'm pretty confident I can get there, but I need to commit and actually finalize my list so I know where I can begin.

Those are my culinary resolutions for the year. If you have made some of your own, feel free to share them with me! We can help keep each other accountable this year.

Happy New Year! May 2013 be the best year yet for you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::