Friday, January 18, 2013

GGFF: Pumpkin Ebelskivers


As I posted earlier this month, I try to make special breakfasts for my family on holidays and the occasional weekend. I made these ebelskivers on Thanksgiving morning and I'm just now getting around to posting them. (I told you before, work really kicked my ass from late October-early December. Free time came to me at a premium.) And hey, nothing quite says January like pumpkin breakfast foods, huh? Aren't you glad I'm so timely?

These were truly delicious. I found the recipe basically by accident. I didn't have a recipe for pumpkin ebelskivers, so I started googling. I kept finding a recipe from a blog I don't particularly care for, so on principle I skipped over it. I found a blog I'd never seen before, and had it not been for this recipe, I may never have clicked over to it. I'm so glad I clicked that hyperlink, though, and I'm looking forward to more Saturday mornings with these on my plate.

Please note that I've tagged these as vegetarian since I know vegetarians who do enjoy eggs. If you're the type of vegetarian who enjoys pumpkin but doesn't eat eggs, you could probably get away with substituting your favorite "egg" product, but I'm no expert, so don't quote me.

Pumpkin Roll Ebelskivers
(Adapted from The Other Side of Fifty)

1 1/2 c. gluten-free flour (or 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour)
1 tsp. xanthan gum (omit if using all-purpose flour)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 c. buttermilk
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
3 T. butter, melted, plus more melted butter for the wells of the pan
1 c. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla
Powdered sugar for topping

In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients (six if you are using AP flour and omitting the xanthan gum). In a second bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and egg whites. Stir in the melted butter, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.

Heat ebelskiver pan over medium heat. Brush the wells of the pan with melted butter. Pour 2 T. batter into each well. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, then gently flip using toothpicks to continue cooking on the other side.

Remove to a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::