Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gingerbread Spice Dutch Baby


Like most of the food blogging community, I spent the vast majority of 2012 waiting for the release of The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. I've been a fan of Deb's since before I began my own blog. Funny story: I must've heard her blog name in passing and it fell into the recesses of my brain. When I decided to start my own recipe blog, one of the options on the table was Smitten Kitchen, or Angie's Smitten Kitchen, or something ridiculous. I was running my options by a friend and when we got to this one, she gasped and said, "Oh no. No no no. Let me show you something." Since then, I've been a huge fan of Deb's, and I have eagerly awaited the arrival of her cookbook almost like I was waiting for the birth of my own child. That is, a delicious, well-written child.

When my cookbook arrived, I earmarked a few recipes to try right away. None of them were breakfast recipes. I have nothing against her breakfast recipes, I just wanted to try everything else first! But, this time of year, I like to make my family a real breakfast on Christmas and New Year's. We so rarely get to sit down to breakfast together that it's something I enjoy doing, and it sets a special tone for the day. When I wanted a breakfast recipe, Deb's cookbook was my first stop. When I saw her Dutch Baby and read her intro, I wanted to stop everything and make it right then and there. This is a great way to begin your day, weekend, or new year. It smells delicious (and uses all those gorgeous holiday spices) and even a small slice was very fulling for us. Topped with powdered sugar and served with maple syrup, this is a great beginning.

Gingerbread Spice Dutch Baby
(Barely adapted from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook)

2 large eggs
1 T. dark brown sugar
1 tsp. unsulfured molasses
1/3 c. all purpose flour (I used 1/3 c. GF flour and 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. table salt
1/3 c. milk
3 T. unsalted butter
Powdered sugar, to serve
Maple syrup, to serve

Heat oven to 400* F. Run the eggs in a blender until they reach a pale yellow in color. Add in brown sugar, molasses, flour (and xanthan gum, if using), spices, salt, and milk. Process until smooth. Heat a cast iron skillet and melt butter over high heat, coating pan and sides with butter. Remove from heat. Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until slightly puffed and golden brown. Top with sugar or maple syrup to serve.

1 comment:

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::