Friday, February 8, 2013

Chicken-Pineapple Lettuce Wraps


These days, it's pretty rare for me to see a recipe on a blog and want to make it immediately. Especially as certain recipes and fads make their way around the food blog community, I don't really want to make just another version of this or that. (Though to be fair, most of those viral recipes end up being fantastic, and with good reason.) In a rare exception, as soon as I saw this particular recipe from Brady at Branny Boils Over, I wanted it on our menu right away. In keeping with my yearning for cleansing myself of all that holiday richness (see Wednesday's post), I wanted healthy, filling meals in my belly. (Note that I didn't consult my family. Wasn't that nice of me?)

These were fabulous. I honestly could have eaten the entire bowl myself, and they were a great quick dinner on a Monday before my pole class. (Filling, not carby, healthy, not greasy...what's not to love?) I didn't really stray from her recipe, and I definitely plan on making these again. After that, I'll probably take another cue from Brady and indulge in some extra dessert. I mean, why not? Right? AmIright?

Chicken Pineapple Lettuce Wraps
(Pretty much not at all adapted from Branny Boils Over)

1 T. vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts
1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 4 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, diced
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
Juice from 1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple
1/2 c. crushed pineapple
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 c. toasted almonds
1 head romaine lettuce, washed and trimmed
1/4 c. chopped cilantro

In a large skillet, heat olive oil under medium. Add chicken breast to skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside. When cool enough to handle, dice the chicken. (It will be uncooked in the middle. This is okay.)

Add carrot and onion to skillet and saute until they begin to soften and brown lightly. Add garlic, water chestnuts, and ginger, and return the chicken to the skillet. Cook the mixture, stirring often, until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Pour in teriyaki sauce and stir mixture to coat. Add in pineapple juice and crushed pineapple and stir together. Bring pan to a simmer. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated Season lightly with salt and pepper. Check for seasonings and adjust accordingly. Stir in almonds, and cilantro. Serve in lettuce cups and top with a teeny bit of additional cilantro if desired. Serve with rice.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. These were really great. And like Branny says, "They leave room for dessert."

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::