Friday, February 15, 2013

GGFF: Chicken Piccata


I'm a sucker when it comes to dishes like chicken piccata or chicken marsala. I can almost never say no to either. When I was looking for something new to make from my copy of The Joy of Cooking, I glossed over this one because it didn't look all that interesting, but I kept coming back to it because in the long run, I knew  it would be safe, relatively easy, and that all the picky eaters in my home would eat it for dinner.

I wasn't terribly excited about this particular recipe, but it's a good one to keep in my back pocket for quick-ish dinners since all the ingredients are pantry staples.

Chicken Piccata
(Adapted from The Joy of Cooking)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
4 T. butter, divided
2 T. olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 c. chicken stock
3 T. lemon juice
2 T. capers, drained and rinsed

Heat oven to 200* F.

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over high heat, heat together 2 T. butter and olive oil. Swirl together, and when butter is melted, add chicken to pan. Cook at a high heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. When chicken is seared on both sides, transfer to oven.

Drain all but 1 T. fat from the skillet. Cook over medium heat and add shallots to the pan. Cook 2 minutes, until slightly softened. Increase heat to high and pour in 1 c. chicken stock. Bring to a boil and deglaze the pan. Add in lemon juice and capers, and bring sauce to a boil. Cook 3-4 minutes, until sauce has reduced to 1/3 c. Remove chicken from the oven and return to pan, along with any accumulated juices from the pan. Cook together for a few minutes, and remove chicken to platter. Add remaining butter to the sauce, swirl together, and when butter is melted, pour over chicken. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::