Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mexican Quinoa



Like most everyone else in America, I need a break from rich, indulgent foods after the winter holidays. Don't get me wrong, I love gorging myself on desserts and beef and turkey and pie, but after it's all done, I need a break. I need so cleanse my body, or at least convince my mind that I'm doing a little fine-tuning. I've seen this particular meal on Pinterest, and it did not disappoint. I felt it was filling and incredibly flavorful. Graham wanted a little something "extra" (read: beef), so I think for the future, I'll serve this as a side, or, perhaps easier, just keep it for myself.

Mexican Quinoa
(Adapted from Peanut Butter Runner, as seen on Annie's Eats)

1 T. EVOO
1/2 onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, stems and seeds removed, diced
1 c. quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 medium tomato, diced
1 c. frozen corn
2 c. chicken broth
15 oz. black beans (1 can drained and rinsed or 15 oz. frozen beans)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Dash cumin
2 T. cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/2 c. shredded colby-jack cheese

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic to pan and saute 1 minute, until fragrant. Add jalapenos to pan, and saute 1 additional minute. Pour in quinoa, tomato, corn, chicken broth, and beans. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and cumin, stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed. Pull from the heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Finish with diced avocado and cheese. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::