Monday, February 11, 2013

Tomato Soup


Let me tell you a story. When we first got married, I asked Graham if he liked tomato soup. I had a craving for it and really wanted to make a batch of tomato soup during that first winter we were married. He said he only preferred brothy soups--chicken noodle and such--so I dropped the subject and moved on. A few weeks ago, during a stretch of frigid temperatures, I said to my husband, "I wish you liked tomato soups." He looked up from his magazine and told me that he used to love tomato soup, but got burned out on it as a teenager. I almost lost my mind and started making tomato soup a few hours later.

This recipe from The Joy of Cooking is just okay. I really doctored it up because the original episode is rather plain. It was just okay, but it's gluten-free, cream-less, bread-less, and Graham-friendly.

Tomato Soup
(Adapted from The Joy of Cooking)

2 T. EVOO
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dried oregano
1/2 T. dried rosemary

In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring frequently until softened, approximately 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently and taking care not to let it brown, for 2 minutes.

Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Season with seasonings and herbs, and simmer over low heat for 20-25 minutes. When tomatoes have mostly broken down, remove bay leaf and puree soup until smooth. Return to pot and heat through. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. We use pretty much only tomatoes in our soup. It is also gluten free and dairy free. If you are still looking for a tomato soup recipe you might want to try it.

    http://livinginsanityslovingfood.blogspot.com/2011/08/tomato-soup.html

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::