Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Balsamic Pot Roast


In the foodie world, I think I'm a bit of a weirdo. My favorite foods to make aren't necessarily the most complicated or the fastest or the trendiest. My favorite foods to make are the ones that take the longest. Oftentimes the ones that take the longest end up being really complicated, but that's not intentional on my part. I just really enjoy making a meal that I know will take hours until it reaches completion. Even crock pot meals, which are practically no-cook meals, are among my favorites because they really take hours to "get there".

I've been hanging onto this particular meal for a while, and we've enjoyed it several times throughout the winter. Luckily for you, it's March, and "spring" won't truly arrive for many of you until mid-to-late May. There's still time to put this together and enjoy this with your family.

Balsamic Pot Roast
(Adapted from Taste of Home, as seen on Little B Cooks)

3 lb. boneless chuck roast
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper
2 T. olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 14.5-oz. can beef broth
1 c. red wine
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
Sprinkle of powdered sage
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
3 T. cornstarch
16 oz. bag baby carrots

Season roast with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Heat oil over medium-high in a large skillet and sear the meat, just a few minutes per side. Remove from the pan and place into crock pot. Top with onion and pour in beef broth, wine, and vinegar. Submerge rosemary, bay leaves, sage, and garlic in the liquid. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

After time is up, add in carrots and cook for 1 hour more. When roast is done, remove from crock pot and cover with foil. Pour liquid into a gravy separater and pour off the fat. Pour half the liquid into a bowl and stir in cornstarch, whisking constantly until smooth. Pour remaining liquid into a small saucepan and heat over high heat until bubbling. Add in the gravy mixed with cornstarch and stir to combine. Lower heat and cook until thick. To serve, pour over pot roast and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. You had me at "red wine"
    Looks like a great dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so great! I love crock pot meals, too. But mostly because I love dinner being ready when I get home.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::