Friday, March 22, 2013

GGFF: Baked Chicken Flautas


A few weeks ago, I spent a hot minute as a member of an online community geared towards food, made up mainly of women from my neighborhood. I was told in no uncertain terms that the group was not meant to be used as "research" for my blog, and I found that statement laughable. While I can't speak for every blogger, my "research" comes more from the blogs I'm already reading or from a really unforgettable meal I had (good or bad) and the desire to recreate or redeem it. It's unfortunate that there was a misconception about food blogs and the online foodie community, because in reality the blogosphere has been one of the more welcoming and supportive communities I've ever been involved with. On one particular message board, I actually look forward to the daily blog update thread because I really enjoy seeing what people have been working on. When a particular photo or recipe catches on and makes its way around the blogs, it's always fun to see the variations it takes. I really do enjoy being a food blogger, and I love that I've made friends I wouldn't have otherwise made if it weren't for our blogging connection.

One such blog I discovered in my "research" (I'm sorry, but seriously? Too funny.) is Spoon Fork Bacon. Teri and Jenny are a great team, in fact, I think they're my favorite "team" of bloggers. You can see the dedication and love of their craft in every photograph. I'm mildly obsessed with them these days. Speaking of obsessed, I'm definitely obsessed with these flautas. They're quick, delicious, filling, and....did I mention delicious? My favorite part of this meal? It's one of the few dishes that all three of us loved. Win!

I've made these several times in the last six weeks, and I really see no sign of that stopping soon. I'm okay with it.

Baked Chicken Flautas
(Adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon)

2 c. shredded cooked chicken
2 T. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 poblano pepper, diced
1 1/2 c. frozen corn, thawed
1/3 c. salsa (your favorite!), plus more for serving
1/2 c. plus 3 T. sour cream
1/4 c. shredded Monteray Jack cheese, plus more for serving (I've also used Colby-Jack)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Tortillas, flour or corn

Heat oven to 375 F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and toss in chicken. Saute for a few minutes, just to give the chicken a little color. Remove to a large bowl and add more oil to the skillet if necessary. To the skillet, add onion, poblano, and corn. Season lightly with salt and pepper and saute 5-7 minutes, until slightly softened. Pour onion mixture into the bowl with the chicken and mix together. Add in salsa, 3 T. sour cream,  and cheese and mix well. Test for seasonings and season with salt and pepper if necessary.

Place 1/3 c. filling into a tortilla and roll tightly. Place seam side down onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Bake for 20-30 minutes until tortillas are crisp and tops are golden brown. Serve with remaining sour cream, salsa, and cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I love this variation with poblano peppers and jack cheese. I thing these will be making an appearance soon. Glad you found these due to your "research!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know me, just cray-cray about my "research".

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::