Monday, March 11, 2013

Oven-Style Corned Beef


For a long time, I thought I didn't like corned beef. I guess it had something to do with the name. After all, "corned" doesn't necessarily sound appealing. Looking back, this completely surprises me because I loved all  things Irish when I was growing up. Soda bread, Irish stew, potatoes...I loved it all. I wasn't sure if I liked it until shortly after Graham and I started dating. It's a tradition for his mom to gather as many family members together for her corned beef supper, and when I was invited early in our relationship I certainly couldn't say no. If I remember correctly, I think I snuck a sleeve of crackers in my purse just in case I didn't like corned beef. Thankfully, my now mother-in-law had mastered the art of cooking the brisket so I had nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure I ate my weight in brisket that day. (I'm a Midwestern girl at heart!) So even though I was a late adopter to corned beef, our relationship is rock solid these days.

This recipe is a blend of my mother-in-law's (which she got from an Irish butcher) and a favorite recipe in one of my Irish cookbooks. Enjoy it, eat it up, and make good use of the leftovers.

Oven-Style Corned Beef
(Adapted from Irish Traditional Cooking by Darina Allan and my mother-in-law, Rita Jean)

1 corned beef brisket*
Water
Paprika
Corned beef seasoning

I know there are no specifics. It'll be okay! Read on.

 (I usually get a 3-5 lb. brisket for the 3 of us, my MIL gets a larger one to feed a crowd. The important thing here is the timing, not the size of the roast.)

Heat oven to 300 F. Put brisket into a large, heavy-bottomed pot (I use my Dutch oven) and fill with water halfway up the sides of the brisket. Season the top generously with paprika. Mix in the corned beef seasoning that should have come with your roast and give it a stir.

Cover and cook in oven for 40-50 minutes per pound, depending on the size of your roast. (I usually do a 3 lb. roast for a minimum of 2 hours.) Enjoy with your favorite traditional sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::