Friday, April 12, 2013

GGFF & Recipe Swap: Quick Chicken Vesuvio

iPad photo

I'm pretty sure everyone says it, but one of the reasons I love participating in these recipe swaps is that I usually end up receiving a blog that's new to me. I'd never participated in a theme swap before, but I figured that with this theme being "chicken" I probably couldn't go wrong.

Chicken Vesuvio was my absolute favorite meal when I was growing up. It had been on my mind as of late, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and make my mom's recipe, as it can take a few hours. When I got this particular meal in the swap, I was pretty excited. It gave me the comfort food I was looking for, adapted for someone who works all day. Had I seen this recipe online or in  a magazine, I probably would've skipped right over it because it's originally from Rachael Ray, and I have a thing about her. Honestly, this is really good. The potatoes are my favorite part, and I'm thinking that because it's supposed to be chilly next week, this will likely make an appearance on our table very soon.

Check out the original recipe posted by Christina at Tales from the Mad Men Kitchen (she's hilarious!) and be sure to check out the other bloggers in this swap. Good stuff to be found there. And, thanks as always to Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking for hosting the swaps. We're  not an easy crowd to wrangle.

Quick Chicken Vesuvio
(Adapted from Rachael Ray and Tales from the Mad Men Kitchen)

1/3 c. olive oil, plus 2 T.
2 baking potatoes, peeled and chunked
6 T. garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c. dry white wine
1/2 c. chicken stock
1/3 c. frozen peas
1/4 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced



Heat your oven to 375 F. In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes & garlic, season with oregano and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, approx. 15 minutes.When potatoes are done, remove to a platter and keep warm.
 
Wipe out the pan and return to heat. Warm 2 T. olive oil, season chicken well with salt and pepper, and add chicken to pan. Brown on each side until golden, approx. 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to platter with potatoes. Add wine and chicken stock to the pan and deglaze, scraping up the browned bits. Add the peas to the pan. 
 
Return the potatoes, garlic, and chicken to the pan. Put the pan in the oven and cook for 15-20  minutes, until cooked through. Top with minced parsley before serving.

10 comments:

  1. I'm hilarious? Wow, thanks! So glad you enjoyed it, and I also have a "thing' about RR but yet keep on trying her recipes!

    Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, totally! I was howling when I read your tagline. I love a blogger with a good sense of humor.

      Delete
  2. Yum!! I don't think I've ever had Chicken Vesuvio, but it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darlin'! Now I've got a craving for my mom's recipe, I just need a day to set aside to make it.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I've never had this before. That is going to change soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe. I added artichokes when I made it and yum! I need to make it again. Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good call. Artichokes are always a great addition.

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::