Friday, June 7, 2013

GGFF: Bourbon Street Steak Marinade


There's still a lot of debate in the GF community about whether or not distilled alcohols are considered gluten-free. I've gone back and forth when meal planning and considering whether or not to try them out on my hungry-but-hesitant husband. In the year since we started this gluten-free experiment, we've made some tremendous gains in his health and overall well-being. He isn't hesitant to eat lunch during the day anymore; he can eat a full meal at home and not worry about being ill the next day; he can eat lunch and then get on the road without worrying if he needs to stop somewhere. It goes on and on. As much as going GF has been a learning curve for all of us, it was a good choice and a great step towards normal eating habits for Graham.

I'd been eying this steak marinade for a while. It looked great. I imagined that it smelled and tasted great. I just didn't want to chance it knowing the debate about grain alcohols. I'd hate for a steak to taste amazing and delicious one day, only to have an unhappy, sick spouse the next. After doing my research and reading this piece and others from Celiac.com and the Celiac Sprue Association, I decided to give it a shot. And I'm really glad I did. This was a great change up from our usual grilled steak dinners (oh summer, I'm so glad you're back) and and took about 2 minutes to mix together before it was done. We'll definitely be seeing this marinade on our table again soon.

Bourbon Street Steak Marinade
(Adapted from AllRecipes.com)

1 c. cold water
2/3 c. bourbon
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
4 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. fresh lemon juice
4 6-oz steaks (I recommend either a rib eye or fillet)
2 T. vegetable oil

In a large ziploc bag, mix together the water, bourbon, soy sauce, sugar, Worcestershire, and lemon juice. Mix well to combine,  add the steaks, and toss to coat. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, or up to 8 hours.

Heat grill to high and lightly oil the grates with vegetable oil. Remove steaks from the bag and discard marinade.

Grill steaks for 1-2 minutes per side to sear, and continue to grill until you reach your desired temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::