Friday, June 21, 2013

GGFF: Cheeseburgers with Whiskey BBQ Sauce


In general, I'm not a big fan of burgers. I think I've just been soured on crappy, over-done burgers thrown on a giant grill at various school and church functions. Whenever someone even says, "burger", my mind automatically goes to those gross, charred, dry, tasteless hockey pucks I've been subject to for years. I did a quick flip through the archives, and I think I've only posted one burger recipe in the 5 years I've been blogging--that alone tells you how I feel about them.

When I got this recipe for this week's swap, I admit that I groaned. Even though it was coming from Jenni at Dough See Dough--I'm a big fan--I still wasn't excited about it. But, doesn't matter! It's a recipe swap, so you make the recipe you're assigned, right? And I figured that even though I'm not a burger fan, these would probably be decent--Jenni knows what she's doing. The results? If only every burger could be this great. It seemed like the stars aligned last week. Graham grilled them to perfection,  the BBQ sauce was fantastic, and the caramelized onions were just the ticket to make these exactly what we needed them to be. These will definitely make a repeat appearance on the grill this summer, and I will definitely be using this BBQ sauce for more than just burgers this summer.

Once again, this swap was graciously hosted by Sarah at A Taste of Home Cooking. Go check her out!

Cheeseburgers with Whiskey BBQ Sauce
(Barely adapted from Dough See Dough)

Sauce:
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. cider vinegar
3 T. dark brown sugar
2 T. honey
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 c. whiskey

Onions:
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 T. brown sugar

Burgers:
1 lb. ground beef
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 oz. extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced thin
4 cornmeal-dusted Kaiser rolls, lightly toasted

Begin with the sauce. Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 40 minutes, until sauce has reduced and thickened.

Next, heat butter and olive oil in a medium pan. When butter has melted, add sliced onion to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes. Add brown sugar and cook an additional 10 minutes, until onions are soft and caramelized.

For your burgers, season your ground beef with salt and pepper and form into 4 patties. Make a slight indentation in the middle of each patty with your thumb. Over high heat, cook until lightly charred and browned on one side, approximately 5 minutes. Flip burgers and move to a slightly cooler side of the grill (not cooler, just a leeettle bit cooler) and cook until browned, no more than 5 minutes. Top with cheddar cheese in the last minute on the grill, and toast your Kaiser rolls on the grill now if you haven't done so already.

Assemble burgers, either layering with BBQ sauce, then burger and onions, or burger, BBQ sauce, onions, and topping with the top half of the roll. Either way, it's delicious.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great burger! It's on my list of 'to make' already :)
    -Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you found a burger that you liked! These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trying new burger recipes! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I actually just pinned something very similar but I'm going to give these a try, they sound awesome! We love trying new burgers.

    ReplyDelete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::