Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Haitian Voo Doo Sticks (a.k.a. Spicy Beef Kebabs)


What a name, huh?! I don't know about you, but I seem to have a hard time finding good beef recipes for summer. Everything I find seems to be too heavy for a summer meal or requires far more prep time than I have at my disposal on a weeknight. (Unless I want to eat dinner at 9:00 p.m.) When I feel like we need to throw a little red meat into our diets, the default usually ends up being a steak thrown on the grill, and as much as we love that, it can get a little redundant to do that too often. I found this recipe while browsing on AllRecipes.com. Since I'm a sucker for anything funny and interesting, I figured that we could try it at least once and see how we liked it. Surprisingly, this was a hit with all three of us. (Anyone know where my hungry, "I'll-try-anything-just-feed-me two-year old went? Anyone?) What I like about this is that it took literally 2 minutes to put together, the level of heat is really up to you, and you can marinate for as long or short a time as you need. We preferred it on the "cooler" side of spicy, but reading the comments, plenty of testers threw in heaping tablespoons of cayenne pepper and raved, so play it it and see what you like. It can't hurt, right?

Haitian Voo Doo Sticks
(Adapted from AllRecipes.com)

2 T. Better than Boullion (or bouillon granules)
2 T. water
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh black pepper
2 T. vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
1 1/2-2 lbs. beef sirloin, cut into 2-in. pieces for kebabs
2 red pepper, cut into 2-in. chunks
2 green peppers, cut into 2-in. chunks
1 white onion, cut into 2-in. chunks
10 wooden kebab skewers, soaked for at least 1 hour

Combine the first seven ingredients in a large ziploc bag. Pour 1/4 marinade into a separate container or bag. Add the beef to the marinade, toss to coat, and refridgerate for a minimum of 1 hour. Add peppers and onion to reserved marinade and repeat, refridgerating for a minimum of 1 hour.

When ready to grill, remove bags from the fridge and discard marinade. Allow beef and vegetables to warm up a little (come to room temp, or close) and heat the grill to high.Lightly oil the grates with vegetable oil to prevent sticking.

Thread your beef and vegetables onto the prepared skewers. Grill skewers, turning frequently, for approximately 15 minutes, or until they reach desired temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::