Monday, June 10, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Extract


A few years ago, I really didn't think much about my vanilla extract. I went to the store, threw a few bottles into my cart, and I was good for a few months. It wasn't until I started making my own ice cream that I thought about making my own vanilla extract. I already had vanilla beans for the ice cream, so the extract just seemed like a logical next step.

 This is easily the simplest recipe I have in my arsenal, I didn't even have to think about what I was doing or really measure anything. I gave these bottles as Christmas gifts last year and they went over really well. One family member pulled me aside and said she couldn't wait to try it. If you're hoping to give these as gifts, start in the fall and by the holidays, you're all set with some great homemade goodies to throw into a basket.


Homemade Vanilla Extract
(Source: Use Real Butter)

3 whole vanilla beans
1 c. vodka (8 oz. liquid)
Bottle

Split your vanilla beans lengthwise and insert into bottle (or whatever clean glass container you're using. Pour in vodka and seal container tightly. Place in a cool, dark location for two months. Shake periodically. Use.

I made 10 bottles to give as gifts last Christmas, and the whole process took maybe 30 minutes to put together. I kept my bottles in the basement and shook them twice a week at most. When the bottle is empty and you're ready to refresh the bottle, pull out a pod or two (if you can) and insert a new vanilla pod or two. Top with vodka, put in a dark place for two months.....you get the drill.

6 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to try this! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No problem. It's actually the perfect DIY project for me because I can do it and forget about it for 2 months, and it STILL comes out beautifully.

      Delete
  2. Oh those look so pretty! Bet they'll taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Love! I've been using them for about a month now, and I'm so surprised at the difference. I'll never buy vanilla again.

      Delete
  3. Love the bottles! I should start this while it's still fresh in my mind so that come the holidays, I'll have stuff ready for giving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got them from Amazon. They're plenty big.

      Delete

Why, hello there! Thanks for visiting. Have something to share? ::points down::